Sunday, April 16, 2006

I am going to write in Englisch for the moment. Something I have noticed, while learning so many languages is sentence structure. I have looked at the many ways an Englisch sentence should be written. I have also realized that is based on the ideals of the people who made the rules. They have changed to the point that there are several ways to speak Englisch. The problem comes when we get nit-picky. The truth shows us that a word has some basic parts to it, and the rest can be ignored. This might sound odd, but think about it.

If I where to use a Canadian spellcheck I would have to add a U to armor. The list does not stop or begin at Armour either. It also gets a but peculuar when I read Mark Twain and Charles Dickens. The armoir within the writings is very different. Englisch is understood and spoken. The spellings and use of Englisch is different. In modern times the spellcheck asks which form of Englisch should be checked.

My problem begins when I realize how Englisch is changing. Yet, my Englisch teachers seem to not care. They continue to show the difference and demand conformity. How odd is it not, that if a teacher from a Social Studies class where to say the Berlin Wall still stands, the teacher would be corrected. The reason why is that the teacher did not keep up with what is happening today. The teacher could say, the Berlin Wall still stands in many hearts. This would be true, but the physical wall has fallen.

The same would be true of a Science teacher, if the teacher where to teach that we have not landed on the moon. The books might teach it but the teacher would be obligated to keep the students up to date.

Englisch has not stood still either. Many poets and authors have shown how Englisch is changing and growing. The problem comes with some of the old information. In ancient times Englisch did not look like what we have. It had not been properly followed yet. A king by the name of Alfred had the language copied and studied so that the language could have a basis on it. One of the rules was that people stop writing new words. If a linguist did not know what something was, they made a new name for it. Thus many things had the same word.

This studying did not help totally. Things where still changing, swerd became sword, and some how we got two theres. Very likely it was a different spelling of the same word. When it came time to it spelled, the author just put both in. Slowly the words changed meaning. Though in truth they where the same word, and the meaning has not changed much over the centuries either.

This changing took several hundred years, it lead to the language I am writing today. A century ago Englisch writers began to write down new words. Keen was cool and hip to the noobs in this language. Englisch majors also began to think of new words. The ring Wraiths would not named except for JRR Tolkiens decision to make a new word.

Raymond Carver wrote several amazing short stories. They spoke in new ways. The period became the break. The use for commas began to change. If I wrote like that, my teacher would become angry. I was not conforming to the changing language.

The teacher gives the students the very basics of the language. Then several new words are added, the words are not fully explained. Why have the teachers forgotten to include why the word is spelled that way? There is a great deal to learn about this wonderful language that can help students adapt to these changes. An understanding of why things are spelled, for instance the origins of words. A deeper understanding would make the students more literate. If a new word came forward the student could translate it. Take for instance the word in, it means in. It is used to show how other words are used, like inside. This better understanding of our own language can help the student understand other languages.

It becomes a thorn in my side, I write something and want a critique of what I wrote. The critiquer is only able to make sentence structure mistakes and comments on spelling. I ask the critiquer what he or she thought of the word usage, but the critiquer barely knows what these words mean. The deeper dialogue of our language is being lost because it is not being taught.

What I propose is not simple, but it will make smarter students. A recognition of our language is needed to help it change properly. The ultimate goal is that Englisch speakers soon find that actual language and spelling of things. When I write I hope to some day have some one not my choice of words, not only what I chose, but how I chose to spell it.

No comments: